Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Giving My Liver a Chance

by Scott Spillane

I am 36 years old, and I’ve been a big drinker since I was 18 years old. Going out twice a week with my friends and drinking at home. I'm not quite sure why I was drinking so much or what is was I was trying to drown. As I got older the drinking became “normal”, no matter how many times I would blackout it didn’t matter, I would continue to drink. It got to a point at which I would have to apologize for doing or saying something that I didn’t know I did or said.

You see I grew up watching my father drink Miller High Life morning, noon and night. I’m a father now and I don’t want my daughter remembering me as the drunken guy on the couch. So on President’s day this past February I said to myself “self, knock off the fucking shit!” My daughter Krysia is the most beautiful person in the world and I want her to grow up in a happy home and be proud that I am her father.

Now I will tell you how I quit drinking cold turkey after nearly 18 years of debauchery.One word – O’Doul’s. I found out that having the taste without the blackouts and shame was all I needed. My life and my daughter are far more important than feeling numb and empty.

So I would like to thank Anheuser Bush for making something responsible and my wife for giving birth to my little girl.To all of you out there that don’t think you can quit, I’m here to tell you that you can do it!

No comments: