Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I'm Double the Man I Used to Be

by Scott Spillane

I was born September 3rd of 1971, I weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces. I was an average sized kid up until the summer before high school.

I’ve gone back and forth from being fat to being skinny. Every time I lose the weight it comes back and then some.


My problem is that when I do something I do it to the extreme and demand immediate results. I can lose 40 pounds in a month, but to do that I eat nothing but tuna, turkey breast and ham.


5 Years ago I was 175 pounds, going to the gym 3 hours per day, 7 days per week. I was a regular Rock of Gibraltar.


Now I struggle to put shirts on and button my pants. I get winded walking up the stairs. I’m in pain for 2 days after doing the simplest chores around the house.


My QA Manager at work organized a friendly “weigh in” The person that loses the most weight in 8 weeks wins $125. I wanted to be a part of it just for the fun of participating in a group thing at work. My problem was that I was too ashamed to step on the scale. Not because I don’t want them all to know what I weigh, but because I’m the one that is afraid to know.


I don’t understand what is so tough about a normal diet? All I have to do is stop stuffing bad food into my fat mouth!


It’s a little late for a New Year’s resolution but I’m starting a diet on Monday January 8th.


I don’t want to have a heart attack and die, I don’t want to continue to buy bigger clothes, but most of all I don’t want to be ashamed of myself.

No comments: