Sunday, December 30, 2007

From a First Time Father

by Matthew Jupin

I am going to be a dad. My beautiful wife Amanda is due with our baby boy on February 9. We have been through a lot and, I'll be honest, when I first found out she was pregnant I was nervous and afraid I might fuck up. I took me about two weeks to just get used to the idea that I was going to be a father. The beginning of the pregnancy flew by.

Around week twenty one there was a problem with the ultrasound. The doctor seemed worried the baby's brain was underdeveloped, and he told us it had a one in ten chance of being healthy. My wife was a wreck for a whole week. I was angry and upset, but I kept thinking that I can worry a little or I can worry a lot, but the outcome would be the same. I knew I had to be strong for Amanda. We both prayed (not that it would change anything; it just helps to cope with bad news).

We had to get a fetal MRI in Boston. The baby (to everyone's surprise including the doctor's) was found to be perfectly normal. We were so happy and relieved. Now I am really excited and can't wait until February. There is still a lot to do. We have a birthing class once a week that is nothing like what I expected. I learned so much (did you know a women can drink alcohol while breast feeding and not affect the baby?). I am also working on a nursery for the baby (with a little help from my friends) which I hope to finish in two more weeks. Then I have about three weeks left to get ready for Connor Matthew Jupin. We finally decided on the name today. I think it has a nice ring to it, no?

No comments: