Monday, February 4, 2008

The Worst Month in Sports

by Christopher Reardon

I can't believe it. I mean I cannot effing believe it. The Patriots, formerly 18-0, are now 18-1. And that lonely, sad little one is the biggest one there could have been. The Superbowl. And you wanna know the most messed up thing of all? I pulled Pats 4 - Giants 7 on my Superbowl squares, so Pats losing and their final score of 14-17 actually made me money. For the last thirty seconds of the game I was actually rooting against myself winning money so that the Pats could pull off a miraculous win, but it just didn't happen.

So my first thought in consolation after the Superbowl was "hey, I'm a few bucks richer now." And my second? "At least pitchers and catchers report to spring training in eleven days."

I must admit, even though the Celtics are drastically improved this year and the Bruins seem to be getting better, my sports are really just football and baseball (and MMA, but that's a year-round event). That's why I always dread the end of the Superbowl, for good or for bad, because the month of February is woefully void of interesting sporting events. I mean the Pro Bowl is a joke, and the first game of the baseball exhibition season isn't until the end of the month. What's a guy to do?

I'm not the only one out there who see this lack of sports intake. You'll notice the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue come out during this month, assuredly because if there's no interesting games to cover you might as well throw girls in bikinis throughout your magazine. ESPN will spend a week reviewing the Superbowl and a day reviewing the Pro Bowl, then fill in the remainder of the time with a lot of golf and tennis. Me? I'll be catching up on some reading and preparing my annual MLB preview.

So I am really upset and disappointed that the Patriots were unable to put their name squarely in the history books as perhaps the best team of all time, I might be more distraught by the fact that I have almost nothing to watch for the next month. Gosh I can't wait for baseball season to start.

Image provided by Boston.com

No comments: