Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's not About "Weight-Loss" it's About "Healthy Living"

by Christopher Reardon

In the past three-four weeks I've undergone a bit of a transformation. In that period of time, I have not smoked a cigarette, I've been waking up early (just look at the timestamps on my posts for proof of that), I've exercising everyday, and I've been eating healthier. I started doing all these things at the same time, and I must admit I've never felt this healthy in my life. I've been skinnier in my life to be sure, but I've never felt this healthy. Now it's only been a few weeks and I am still losing weight, but my point is that even if I didn't lose another pound, I'd still feel good about these changes.

Notice I said that I've been eating healthier, not that I've been dieting. We hear it from a lot of sources, but people just seem to refuse to believe that diets do not work. Depriving yourself may help you lose a few pounds quickly, but it will only negatively impact your energy levels and your attitudes.

I read an article today on Dumb Little Man by Craig Harper called "Overcoming Weight Loss BS." The piece exemplifies the changes in my life, as they are not simply means of losing weight, they are a new way of life aimed at staying healthy.
"Many people don't want to hear this message because it's too fundamental and obvious. And it requires real effort, sacrifice, work and self-control. “Whatever you do Craig, don’t mention the ‘D’ word (discipline) and please don’t talk to me about self-control again.” No, we'd rather talk about weight-loss theory number ten million or the latest 'breakthrough' pill, powder, potion, product, gizmo or gadget. Or that amazing new weight-loss book. 'Cause we need another one of those. We want quick, easy, convenient and painless. We are soft. We are precious, lazy and lack self-control. We are the quick-fix society. And the instant-gratification generation. And the fat generation."
The article is a well-written piece with some good advice about maintaining the right attitude
while increasing your personal health. If you have something you'd like to add regarding your own health routine, let us know in the comments!

No comments: